Type: Regular Full-Time
Hours per Week: 40
The Housing Coordinator is responsible for providing housing searches and stabilization services to persons served. Assisting individuals that do not have independent housing with applying for subsidized apartments. Services include identifying, negotiating, and securing housing units and housing assistance programs as well as providing stabilization services during the initial tenancy period. Responsibilities also include assisting with advocacy and informational services to the general community.
Advocates promotes a healthy work-life balance and offers many generous perks of employment and room for advancement. We are a strong-knit community that values the ideas and contributions of our staff.
Are you ready to make a difference?
- Identify available and appropriate housing units, assessing for affordability, location, condition and safety.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with service providers who may refer applicants as well as satisfy community care needs for individuals.
- Assist individuals in obtaining documentation needed to apply for benefits, such as photo identification, social security cards, and birth certificates; and entitlements, such as health insurance, social security, and transition assistance.
- Guide and support individuals through state and federal housing assistance applications.
- Assist individuals in securing units, including viewing sites, completing the application process, follow up with potential units and move-in.
- Provide stabilization services during the transition period after move-in.
- Assist individuals with completing annual recertification paperwork and unit inspections as required to maintain housing subsidies.
- Maintain up to date records in accordance with grant requirements and agency standards.
- High School Diploma or equivalent degree and two years’ experience with affordable housing and/or housing supports.
- Knowledge of housing assistance benefits and low income housing programs.
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft products such as Word and Excel.
- Strong budgeting and record keeping skills, attention to detail, and advanced prioritizing and multi-tasking abilities.
- Strong focus on relationship development, including dedicated customer service and communication.
- Must hold a valid driver's license, have access to an operational and insured vehicle and be willing to use it to transport clients.
- Strongly prefer a candidate that will have a demonstrated understanding of and competence in serving culturally diverse populations.
Advocates is an EOE/D/F/M/V.
Why Should I Consider a Career in Human Services?
Our Team members are dedicated to engaging and empowering individuals by forming lasting relationships, collaboratively achieving personal goals, offering creative solutions to everyday and complex situations, and actively listening. We exercise independent judgement and contribute to the overall success and benefit of the Team.
Is Human Services a Fit for Me?
Successful Team members are open-minded, eager and compassionate, and will exercise solid, independent judgement while fostering trustworthy relationships with the individuals that we serve. We put the individual first.